Friday, February 7

bittersweet & beginnings

I just finished reading my way through Shauna Niequist's book Bittersweet, and her words still stick with me.  Those are the best kind of words- that resonate so clearly they find their way into your doing-dishes, morning-drive-to-work, ordinary moments.

She writes that creating is one of the most important things a person can do because it reflects a Creator. She also writes that it's not about the method- painting or writing or singing- but that it has more to do with what that does in us. That creating opens up some space to remember our brilliant, imaginative God and to try and be like Him.

It's easy for me to see a blank page and think, I have no idea where to begin. But it's not my beginning, is it? I was created to shape words, to be loved, and you know, that's a really good place to start.

I'll leave you with some of my favorite words from Bittersweet:

"The idea of bittersweet is changing the way I live, unraveling and re-weaving the way I understand life. Bittersweet is the idea that in all things there is both something broken and something beautiful, that there is a moment of lightness on even the darkest of nights, a shadow of hope in every heartbreak, and that rejoicing is no less rich even when it contains a splinter of sadness...This is the work I’m doing now, and the work I invite you into: when life is sweet, say thank you, and celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you, and grow."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from FMF. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the quote from Bittersweet - been trying to get my hands on that one! :)

Elizabeth said...

Bittersweet just might the favorite read of the past two months. Read it with a pen and some tissues :) Thanks for saying hello!