Wednesday, January 18

words, resolutions, & redemption.

Hey friends.  Happy New Year!

My lack of posts has not been because of a lack of words; exactly the opposite actually.  I've been taking some time to be silent and cutting out Facebook, Twitter, email, TV, and limiting my phone use--and I've found that hearing God's voice and finding my voice is so much easier and more lovely when other noises are silenced.

The past year of my life has been pretty chaotic and it has been so good to see real, alive people and spend masses of uninterrupted time dwelling in the words of Jesus.  This sweet time has left me feeling renewed and as passionate as ever, and I'm excited to see what this year holds.
---

Every passing year, people make resolutions based on what they want to accomplish or fix or change.  I'm not really a resolution kind of girl, simply because I don't usually fulfill a goal based on a new year.  I like the idea of resolutions though, because I think hiding beneath it is the concept of redemption.

We all want to have the chance to do things differently.  We all want to change and be believed capable of change and goodness and beauty, even if (or when) we've screwed things up in the past.

We all want a do-over, for one reason or another.

But the past is gone away and the future isn't here yet, so we have right now.  We have today.  And while we can't control the things that happen to us, we can choose our reaction.

We choose, daily, how we want to live and who we want to be.

And this year, this day, I think you can be anything.  I think that God makes all things new, if we ask Him to.

Maybe we can't have a do-over, but maybe we don't need one.  Maybe a do-over suggests that we didn't mess things up in the first place--it's almost deserved.  But a second chance isn't deserved, and it suggests that while we've messed some things up, we are given the chance to change.

In the process of trying to love better, worry less, give more, and be less afraid--I've found that it's easier to give other people second chances because sometimes I, too, need one so badly.

Sometimes I fail miserably at being the person I could be.  Sometimes I'm messy and weird and just plain wrong, and I'm so thankful for the people that give me grace when I don't deserve it.

So here's to second chances, to words, to change, and to trusting that all things can be made new.  Even us.

--

1 comment:

Sarah Acker said...

Sweet Elizabeth,

I need your address, if possible. I would like to send you something.

_Sarah