Sunday, September 25

life together

Lightness.

That's what I was thinking about when I woke up yesterday, tangled in covers, sun pouring in through the windows.

Over a month ago, I moved in with a dear friend.  And my life has been altered, right down to its very fabric, in so many good ways.  Our schedules are crazy and our mood swings are hilarious but it is lightness, every single second.

Maybe it's because I've spent the majority of my college years commuting to campus and (yes, I-love-you-don't-judge-me) living with my parents BUT living with someone is bigger than I expected it to be.  It's more than just fun.  I mean, yes, it's ridiculously fun.  We dance around and do cartoon impressions and last week she left a fake rat on my bed.  I can't count the number of times I've laughed until I cried, literally, sitting on the floor with tears down my cheeks.

When you live life with someone, you really live it with them.  There's something distinctly special, even spiritual, about sharing life together.  Having someone witness your life, encourage your dreams, call you out on your crap, and love you just as you are.

Until you get to have that, no words of mine can describe it.  And after you've had it, you realize that life alone...isn't really life at all.  It's no fun thinking of only yourself all the time, being by yourself all the time, you, you, you, all the time.

We need people to live life with.  And even if you don't have a roommate, I hope you have that.  I hope you have people willing to walk alongside you.

Because I am in the middle of it, and it's priceless and valuable.  It's just a season of life, and the winds of change will blow in something else, something different.  But this chapter, this season, it is and was and will be one of my favorite.

Dear friend, I am genuinely happy.  With my life and with the people in it and all the good things I've been given.  I hope you are, too.

I hope that when the winds of change find you, you realize that you have someone beside you.  That you hold onto God with both of your hands and tie down your dreams with His words and link arms with some beautiful friends.  Sometimes the winds blow in things we don't expect, and sometimes they blow in exactly what we need.

No comments: