Friday, September 10

mist

  Sometimes I feel cheated by time and distance, the way life moves so fast.  In the grand scheme of things, we're only here for a second.  a moment.  a breath.  a vapor.  There have been people here before us, and there will probably be people here after us.  If we don't stop and really open our eyes, life slips through our grasp like a fistful of sand.

Go.  It's a whisper and a whirlwind, a wish and a daydream.  These past few years have planted a deep desire in me for adventure.  There is something in me that yearns to go somewhere new and unexplored and to throw off the expected and venture deep into the heart of the unknown, even if it seems scary.  There is a reason why I never unpack my suitcase, why I don't get homesick.  It's easy for me to trade in the well-worn feel of the familiar and take off to someplace I've never been before.  But I can't do that here.  Including this semester, I've got a solid 2 years left of school to finish.  I can't just wander off into the wilderness, or chase the neon city lights.  But maybe, just maybe, there's a quiet contentedness in being where right where you're at.  So out of all of these things, I am trying to find the beauty in staying.  I want to wake up every day and find the extraordinary even in what seems mundane; the way the light pours crookedly through my blinds in the morning, the way the 3rd step in the staircase in Varner is chipped at the end, the faces the I see everyday but don't know their names.  Every single moment, every single day, met with gratefulness and passion, seen through the beauty of brand new eyes.

Walkers with the dawn

Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
Walkers with the sun and morning,
We are not afraid of night,
Nor days of gloom,
Nor darkness--
Being walkers with the sun and morning.

-Langston Hughes

No comments: